3 Essential Repairs and Upgrades for Optimal Performance of Your Pop-Up Sprinklers
At Big Frog Supply, we understand the importance of maintaining a well-functioning lawn irrigation system to ensure a lush and healthy lawn throughout the season.
While it's beneficial to involve a professional irrigation service contractor for the initial setup of your sprinkler system, there are several simple repairs and upgrades you can efficiently perform yourself.
By addressing these minor maintenance tasks in the spray zones, you will not only enhance the efficiency of your system but also save on your water bill.
In this article, we will guide you through three essential repairs and upgrades that will help you optimize the performance of your pop-up sprinklers this spring.
Evaluating the Watering Areas
First, it is crucial to identify the areas in your lawn that require attention.
By activating one zone or program at a time on your controller, you can assess the functioning of each watering site.
Most controllers offer a manual watering function, which allows you to perform this evaluation effortlessly.
Understanding how to use this feature is advantageous, as it grants you the flexibility to add additional watering cycles in specific areas after a dry spell.
You can conveniently carry out this process on your smart device for those with app-based controllers.
While the sprinklers are in operation, venture outside and observe each head's spray distance and pattern.
Take a walk around your lawn and carefully note how the sprinklers distribute water, ensuring they cover the desired areas effectively.
It's important to ascertain that the spray is uniform, with water droplets rather than wasteful misting.
By evaluating the functioning of your sprinkler system, you can determine the specific repairs and upgrades required for optimal performance.
Repair 1: Adjusting Spray Pattern and Distance
One common issue homeowners face is water over spraying onto sidewalks, driveways, or the house itself, while other lawn areas still need to be adequately watered.
Fortunately, this problem can be easily rectified by adjusting the spray action of your sprinklers. Follow these steps to ensure proper adjustment:
- Tools needed: ROTORTOOL: Pull-Up Tool (recommended).
- Locate the top of the sprinkler and twist the stem to align it with the desired spray direction.
- Turn the stem to adjust the spray pattern for sprinklers with variable arc nozzles. Additionally, you can use the +/- feature to modify the spray distance.
- Continue fine-tuning the spray direction and pattern until the desired coverage is achieved.
By performing this simple adjustment, you can ensure efficient water distribution, preventing wastage and ensuring optimal coverage of your lawn.
Repair 2: Replacement of Water-Wasting Spray Nozzles
Another critical aspect of maintaining your pop-up sprinklers is regularly inspecting and replacing damaged or inefficient spray nozzles.
Faulty nozzles often lead to overwatering or inadequate coverage of desired areas. To address this issue, follow the steps below:
- Tools needed: ROTORTOOL Pull-Up Tool (recommended).
- Begin by manually pulling up the sprinkler stem or using a Pull-Up Tool designed for this purpose. For example, the Rain Bird 1800® Series sprinkler offers convenient manual stem activation.
- Remove the old nozzle and filter screen.
- Install a new filter screen and attach a compatible nozzle with the appropriate pattern and throw distance. For instance, the Rain Bird RVAN rotary nozzle boasts a potential water savings of up to 30% when compared to standard spray nozzles.
- Activate the sprinkler zone and carefully adjust the spray direction and pattern, following the instructions provided on the nozzle package.
By replacing damaged or inefficient nozzles with water-saving alternatives, you improve your system's efficiency and contribute to water conservation efforts.
Repair 3: Replacement of Broken Spray Heads
In some cases, certain sprinkler heads may have suffered damage from lawnmowers or vehicles.
While this may appear daunting, replacing a broken spray head is a task you can easily undertake without requiring professional plumbing skills.
Follow the steps below to accomplish this repair:
- Identify the sprinkler head that requires replacement and turn off the water supply to the respective zone.
- Carefully remove the dirt surrounding the sprinkler head, taking precautions not to damage any underground pipes or fittings.
- Unscrew the old head and inspect the threaded riser or other connectors beneath it if necessary. Replace any damaged components with appropriate fittings.
- Clean the threads of the male connector and apply Teflon® tape for a secure seal. Proceed to screw on the new sprinkler head.
- Pull up the stem of the new head and remove the nozzle, utilizing tools like the Rain Bird Pull-Up Tool for added convenience.
- Turn on the water supply to flush out any debris from the new head.
- Replace the nozzle and ensure the area around the head is leveled correctly.
Additionally, this could be an ideal opportunity to upgrade to a new high-efficiency model, further enhancing your sprinkler system's performance and water-saving capabilities.
Bonus Tip: Upgrading to Water-Saving Models
If you need to replace nozzles or sprinklers, it is highly recommended to consider upgrading to water-saving models.
With numerous options available, you can select from various choices that seamlessly fit your current sprinklers' stems and underground fittings. Here are some notable models to consider:
By selecting water-saving models, you contribute to environmental sustainability while simultaneously benefiting from reduced water consumption and lower water bills.
It is imperative to devote some time to check and maintain your in-ground irrigation system.
You can ensure optimal performance and water efficiency by addressing simple repairs and upgrades, such as adjusting spray patterns, replacing damaged nozzles, and upgrading to water-saving models.
Performing these tasks saves you money on water bills and promotes a healthier and greener lawn.
Remember, if you encounter any complex issues or require professional assistance, our team at Big Frog Supply is always ready to provide expert guidance.